Last Update: 2018
The D’Youville’s Hunger Initiative Task Force has planned a day of awareness related to the issues facing the working poor on Wednesday, February 14, 2018. As you complete your spring syllabi, I hope that you will be able to incorporate one or more of these opportunities into your course planning.
The following opportunities will be available to students on Wednesday, February 14th.
- Spent. This is an online activity to increase understanding about decisions made by the those earning $1000/ month. The learner takes on the persona of “the working poor” and tries to make it through the month. The site for this online activity is http://playspent.org/ . Here are three suggestions for using Spent in your course(s).
- This activity can be set up in Canvas. If you are interested in this contact, Dr. Sisto.
- You could do this activity in class. Discussion about decisions that are made flows easily leading into further discussion about the working poor.
- The library’s instruction lab on the 4th floor will be available for this online activity. Mark Bialowski will be available from 8-9am and 4-5pm to sign students in for extra credit in your course.
- Conversation in Liberal Arts: The Working Poor
Wednesday, February 14th at 12:30pm in the Blue Lounge.
Sister Mary McCarrick, Diocesan Director of Catholic Charities in Buffalo, NY, will be our presenter. She will increase understanding of the working poor and the challenges they face in our area. She will also identify programs that are beneficial to this population. There will be time for Q&A. Sr. Mary also serves on the Board of Trustees for D’Youville College.
- Workshop on Meal Planning on a College Budget
Wednesday, February 14th, 4:30-5:15pm, location to be announced
Linda Mocny, Clinical Assistant Professor in Dietetics, will offer healthy menus for those on a limited budget. She will also offer some tips about purchasing items, proper preparation and about storage. There will be a sign in sheet for this workshop.
- Arrange with Rev. Jan to speak about the Campus Cupboard and Hunger on College Campuses. Rev. Jan’s presentation can be as brief as 15 minutes or as long as 50 minutes. Her phone number is 829-7693.
Please consider incorporating any of these options into your syllabi. Thank you.