(716) 829-7701 ThePulse@dyc.edu

Maegan Chmura, a 2007 D’Youville College Graduate, sat down with us to share her journey as a nurse since her time here at DYC! Maegan graduated from D’Youville College with a Master’s of Science in Community Health Nursing in 2011. She currently works as a Clinical Nurse Manager at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, here in Buffalo, New York.

Maegan loves the autonomy that she has in her current role, getting to work closely and collaborate with all the healthcare disciplines in an effort to provide excellent patient care to the patients on her unit. She also enjoys the opportunity to work beside her amazing nursing staff who truly live to serve others.

One of the most challenging parts of the job, according to Maegan, is the feeling sometimes as though she hasn’t given 100% to everyone who needed her attention on any given day. She says “as a nurse manager you are pulled in my directions and you continuously have to prioritize all aspects of your day.”

When asked about any advice for current nursing students, Maegan says that “if students are interested in pursuing a role in management, then they should never forget where their roots are…being a bedside nurse taught me so much and the constant interactions with patients lead me in a direction that didn’t steer me wrong. If I am ever frustrated or need a guiding compass I go back to the bedside.”