Life Hacks and DIYs for your Summer Lovin’

You’ve studied long enough this semester and it’s time for a well-deserved break! I love summer because it feels like everything comes to life – you see more people mingling on the streets, you feel the warmth of the sun on your face and the best part is that the days are longer, which means more time for you to do fun things (i.e. road trips)!

Picture 2 - May 3 '15In the spirit of summer vacay, I wanted to share some cool life hacks with you. Here are 5 good minutes of your time. I hope that this video gave you a few ideas to take on the season, while you’re also out and about having fun, whether it be water skiing, tanning, hosting patio parties, BBQs, or just having an ice-cold beer on your front porch!

But if you’re like me, you might prefer something else…something more crafty or hands-on. Summer is usually the time when most people do home improvement or home renovation projects. It makes sense. The weather is nicer and you don’t have to deal with issues like snow or ice…yes, thank goodness winter is done!

I was browsing online for some cheap and neat tricks on how to spruce up my own place and I came across a great idea for adding color to my backyard patio. At the moment, I feel an impulse to drive to Home Depot to pick up some colored floor paint and go loose…but we’ll see how that goes. When the painting is done, it’s supposed to look something like the picture below.

Picture 1 - May 3 '15Of course, DIY projects are a lot more enjoyable when you have friends and family helping out. I think it’s a great (and cheap) way to connect with people without dishing out too much money from your own pocket. That is, if they don’t mind helping out too! Among some other ideas, I was also thinking of making my own DIY outdoor movie screen (height may be a problem, but I’ll get around to it eventually). It seems ambitious, but hey, I got lots of time now that school is out!

While looking for cheap reno ideas, I also came across some cheap (and healthy) activities that I could enjoy this summer. Here are a few of my favorites: charity yoga classes (usually a pay what you can class), outdoor group runs, flying a kite, hosting (or attending) a pool party, hiking or doing a scavenger hunt with friends, and lastly, treating yourself to a DIY spa day at home! The list is endless, but here’s a nice starting checklist if you’re keen on getting your activities planned out this season.

Cheers to your summer! 🙂

Are you planning on doing any DIY projects this summer? Let us know in the comments section below!

About the author

Rosanna
Rosanna

Where I'm from: Toronto, ON, Canada
When I graduate: I would like to work in the area of public health and education to broaden peoples' understanding of and engagement in nutrition and health. I would love to use social media and writing to learn, teach and connect with people.

© 2011-2015 D'Youville College