Busting those Breezy Winter Blah’s

Can Blah Buster day come any sooner!? The beginning months of 2015 can seem a bit dreary.  The sun goes to sleep long before class is over and the cold weather (between snow, hail and wind) can easily put a fork in your plans. However, with an open mind and a few wise words (from yours truly), you can make the most of your winter here in Buffalo, New York!

NiagWinter1

1. Ice Bikes

Think ice skating is too mainstream? Try pedaling and ice biking for a change! You heard me right the first time: ice bikes are a thing here in Buffalo. Canalside is typically a popular destination during the summer with their water bike rentals.  However, during the winter, the ice at Canalside contains a whopping 33,000 sq feet of skating area. The rental price for 30 minutes is $10 and it guarantees that you won’t land on your butt (like you might with ice skates). I know where I will be when I’m back in the country. ice-bike

2. Enjoy a Night In

I don’t know about you but one thing that brightens my mood is being in good company. Without a doubt, winter weather can really put a damper on my plans in more ways than one (between commuting in the cold weather to not wanting to drive on slippery roads, to name a few). One thing I like to do is have friends over. I have done plenty of things in the past, and here are a few that I would recommend:

(A) Have a Dinner Party: Realize that when I say “dinner party” it is A LOT less glamorous than the movies. I almost always have too much of one ingredient or another.  When my fridge is getting too stuffed, I just have a dinner party and cook for all my friends. It usually involves me cooking something super easy that I’m skilled at (i.e. fried rice, spaghetti, etc.). This also makes things easier for me in the food-spread2long run because me and my friends take turns cooking, so that’s one less day of meals that I have to worry about planning!

If not, there’s always the easier option of having a potluck. When everyone is responsible for one thing, it takes the weight of the meal off one person’s shoulders. The novice in the kitchen can be responsible for the pop and chips!

resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-play-all-the-board-games-cf9ad7(B) Game Night: I really love playing games with my friends, as odd as that may sound. Between Twister, Cards Against Humanity and Jenga, it is an interesting way to see how my friends’ answers and perspectives differ from my own. One fun way to spice up Jenga is to put a truth question or a dare on each Jenga piece.  As your friend pulls out a jenga piece, he/she will have to answer that question or do that dare. If you need some tips or examples, google it! In my experience, things can get pretty fun.

3. Join us at the College Center Gym

I can’t count how many times I have skipped the gym because of the winter weather.  But the truth of the matter is that the gym is still up and running during those cold breezy days.

winter-870x290

New year, new you right? If you’ve made a New Year’s resolution, you know that you have the school gym there to support your goals. Bring your gym clothes with you to class so you can do a quick stint at the gym. I know that I’ll be finding a way to squeeze my yoga sessions in between classes. You’ll feel all the more warmer on the walk home after you exercise!

die-winter-funny-meme-picsSo those are a few tips and tricks I have for surviving these cold winter days. Between classes and grocery shopping, I’m sure you can also squeeze coffee shop study dates into the equation. What are some things you do to bust those winter blahs? Let us know in the comments section below!

About the author

Webmaster (admin)

© 2011-2015 D'Youville College