Cup of Java, anyone?

In the trendy streets of Elmwood lie an array of coffee shops & cafes that attract the everyday foodie/caffeine-driven student to their doors.  Follow me on my adventures, or rather study sessions, as I review the yay’s and nay’s of my many restless nights spent sipping away my cappuccino and burning the night oil.

Uno. Panera Bread

Pros:
– They have their own parking spots for customers, score! There is also a lot of tables & couches everywhere so it usually isn’t hard to find a spot.
– I love the huge selection of drinks, soups, salads & sandwiches. They have a soup & salad combo under $10 that I love. Plus: you have to try their bread bowl (with their soups)!

Cons:
–  Their hours. They might close at 7pm or 9pm, depending on the evening you stop by.

Dos. Spot Coffee & Coffee Culture

Pros:
– They both have WiFi and outlets galore. They also have quite the selection of foods & drinks to choose from. (P.S. Coffee Culture has a deal/freebie if you check in on their foursquare app.)
– They have comfy sofas which are few and far between but if you’re lucky, maybe you’ll be able to snag one!
– They close later- 11pm/12pm. That makes it easier to cram 5-6 hours of studying in one sitting (if you are a procrastinator or an eager beaver, whichever hat fits).
– I personally prefer Spot Coffee because they don’t have Canadian franchises.

Hot beverage from SpotCons:
– Both cafes do not have their own private parking lot so you have to try your luck with finding a parking spot. My only qualm with this is that Elmwood has so many one-way streets that it becomes hard to navigate around to find a spot.
– Sometimes, these coffee shops exhibit local artists which have become a hindrance a few times while studying. Then again, if you need a quiet area to get work done, maybe coffee shops aren’t for you. Be sure to bring your headphones!

Tres: Caffe Aroma
Pros:
– They have a small patio outside which I imagine would be amazing to enjoy the beautiful weather & ambiance that is Elmwood. It would be a nice place to enjoy a good book during the summer time. But conducive to studying? No sir.
– It’s a good place to hang out if you’re just catching up with a friend. It can get a little rowdy though (I was there during the evening).

Cons:
– They have a 2 hour limit on their WiFi; you’ll need a code that gives you 2 hours of access… what’s up with that? Very discouraging for students.
– This cafe gives me the typical hipster cafe vibe. It is relatively small, so it can be a bit of a challenge to find a seat, let alone one close to an outlet.
– If you’re driving, you have to resort to off street parking

Cuatro: Morning Glory
Last but not least, the only coffee shop within walking distance of our beloved school.

Pros:
– location; it is right beside D’Youville College which makes it walking distance for after school hang outs or study sessions
– excellent, friendly & quick service; despite the fact that the waitress was also the cook & cashier, she was very helpful and efficient
– great food: i loved my order. The orange & cranberry infused bread was very tasty and added a little ‘je ne sais quoi’ to my meal; it gave the overall sandwich a sweet and tangy kick. The tea was also very delicious

Cons:
– The hours leave a lot to be desired. Closing at 3 or 4pm seems to give Morning Glory a more ”upscale” vibe, however, it takes away from a lot of potential business from students who have late classes or want to cram in a study session at a nearby coffee shop
– No parking; then again, there is a lot of off street parking

Explore!

At the end of the day, I like exploring different venues, whether it be for school or pleasure. Ultimately, franchised cafes seem to be more efficient and purposeful for the average study session, given their operating hours.

About the author

Amy
Amy

Major: Dietetics
Where I’m from: Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
When I graduate: I plan to be a media spokesperson, advertising for healthy foods & snacks.

© 2011-2015 D'Youville College