10 Things I’ve Learned about the World of Retail through my College Job

Making the transition to D’Youville college from Houghton College as a transfer student was an easy process when it came down to credit transfers and registration for the upcoming semester. What wasn’t easy was finding an apartment, getting a job, and discovering that I now had to buy my own groceries and my meal plan was gone.

Days after making my move to the big city of Buffalo to attend D’Youville, the job hunt was on. Putting my application into a handful of places I was hoping to get a flexible and good paying job to work around my hectic and ever changing school schedule. It came down to two job offers, one stocking shelves at the local Price Rite grocery store on Elmwood Avenue (great prices by the way), or working in the retail business at the local mall. When all was said and done, I took the job in retail. My life has never been the same.

10 Things I’ve Learned about the World of RetailInside the Walden Galleria Mall

1. Clothes will not fold themselves. Especially when there are thousands and thousands of shirts, pants, and jeans.
  2. Not every customer is friendly, in fact, the majority of people shopping are miserable.
  3. Flexible hours = late nights, and lots of hours during the holidays you want to be home for.
  4. Food court food gets old….fast.
  5. The day before and after any US holiday will be worse than going to the dentist.
  6. The day before and after a Canadian holiday will be worse than going to the dentist AND the day before and after any US holiday.
  7. The employee discount will prevent you from wanting to buy clothes at full price EVER again.
  8. Credit cards always get lost from one store to the next, you never know where its going to show up.
  9. 9 times out of 10 a customer’s coupon is expired.
  10. I do not like working retail, and therefore will continue pursuing my degree at D’Youville College.

Now the the holidays have come to a close, and the whirlwind of last minute shoppers and returned Christmas gifts from Grandma will soon end. The end of the Christmas season also means the beginning of the Spring semester, or as I call it, the GPA redeeming semester.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

About the author

Jordan
Jordan

© 2011-2015 D'Youville College