D’Youville Idol? Krazy Karaoke at DYC

After seeing posters hung around campus, I decided I had to check out the Karaoke Night hosted by the Student Association. I had no idea what to expect. Would there be 5 people or 500? Did we have amazing vocal talents hiding out on campus?

When I got to the karaoke event, I found about 50 students, a whole lot of pizza, snacks, drinks and everyone having so much fun that no one seemed to care how well anyone was actually singing. As I entered the event, I was given a raffle ticket, because at the end of the night prizes would be awarded. (Prizes ranged from pens and key chains, to DYC shirts and sweatpants!)  Students were busting a move on the dance floor and boogieing down while their friends sang. There were people swaying their virtual lighters in the air to ballads sung on stage.

That evening, I heard a wide range of karaoke selections that spanned all genres and quite a few decades. What really blew me away though, was how supportive everyone was of one another. After each performance, there was vigorous applause and excitement by the whole room.  One might be tempted to think that the audience was cheering for just their friends, but I can tell you personally, that when I got up to sing what I thought was a mediocre rendition of a 4 Non Blondes hit, people I have never seen before in my life erupted with appreciation.  Had I been singing a current pop song, I might attribute the excitement to my song choice, but considering I picked a song that was popular the year many DYC freshmen were born, I have to rule that out. The only explanation is that we have truly caring, encouraging people on our campus. I only knew a handful of people in the room, and to have people cheer me on while I busted out my karaoke song, isn’t something just anyone would do, and I appreciated it.

Here’s a video I compiled with some of the highlights of the Karaoke Night. Yes, I’m in the video, but I’ll leave it up to you to find me. Although, if you happened to have been around in 1993 and know my one-hit-wonder friends, the 4 Non Blondes, I guess that might give it away. If you think you’ve figured me out, leave your guess in the comments. If you were there that night, let me know what you think of my take on the song.  If you weren’t at the event, do you think you have what it takes to to sing in front of a room of your (very supportive) peers?

About the author

Jessica
Jessica

Major: Dietetics
Where I’m from: Western New York
When I graduate: I plan to work as a registered dietitian. I hope to work in a wellness center or open up my own.

One Comment

• Love the post and the video! I for one would be too chicken to go in front of a bunch of peers in whom I would be seeing at school the next day! Maybe if I had fully rehearsed the song…

© 2011-2015 D'Youville College